Monday, December 3, 2012

Aside: Google Street Artist : Doug Rickard


            I chose this video because I thought it was very interesting that someone was able to use something so simple that most people just see as a navigation tool and turn it into a form of modern photography art.  I’ve looked at Google Street view many times but have never considered it an art form or never even saw any true meaning behind the photographs. Once I saw some of the images Rickard created from this and heard his explanations, I saw the images in a whole new way.  Google Street view is a very interesting concept because it is capturing people, unexpectedly at a specific place and time.  It gives us the ability to look back at that moment in time/history and creates a feel for how things were at that time.  It ranges from the style of the buildings, the fashion, the wealth and poverty levels of certain areas ect.  In the clip, the images were described as digital artifacts that could be used for social documentary purposes.  I thought it was interesting that Rickard said the images could be used as a ‘deep political message’ because they give a glimpse of the reality of what its like to be at a certain place in our current times. 
            As we move into a digital age, I agree that the tools and potential for creating art has shifted into a new territory.  The possibilities for art are expanding but I think it is also increasing difficult to create something special and unique.  I think the new digital tools that are available today have raised expectations for art. I liked that Rickard claimed that he was ‘looking through Google as his lens.’  The Internet has opened new doors of possibility, and has created new ways of looking at things.  In my opinion, it takes a great photographer to look at something that most people see as ordinary and turn it into something special that has meaning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment